The Wizard Ferayn is one of several described in ASE. Since he's shaping up in my game to be a substantial nuisance to the players, I wanted a little more 'depth' to his exterminators. I also had some concern that if Ferayn is killed, the rifles become a treasure of considerable value. Und zo I came up with the following:
The Red-Eyed Men, aka Ferayn’s Exterminators
There are two basic types, recruits and veterans. All are insane killers mentally enslaved by Ferayn.
Lightly clad zero level guys, basically as in ASE1, with red eyes and boots. AC 9. Half are armed with single-shot breechloading rifles. Treat as normal rifles except rate of fire is only one. These rifles have bayonets on them, making them almost as effective as javelins (-1 to hit) in melee. The other half have two-handed swords. All these weapons drive people nuts, as per ASE1. When encountered on “an operation” a recruit with a rifle has 1d12-1 rounds of ammo. One in ten recruits is new enough that if relieved of their weapons they become normal again.
For every four recruits there’s one veteran. All the recruits earn XP for killing and looting (hm, just like our heroes). Those who live long enough to get 750 XP become veterans. Veterans are first level fighters for all purposes. They still don’t wear much armor or anything (AC 7 one way or another), but have d8+1 hit points.
Veterans get a random item added to the rifle or two-hander specified above. Those with rifles have at least three rounds of ammo, if they get low they take some from the recruits. They each also get one item (d10) from the list below:
1. Dreadknife: When drawn it is dripping with blood....its magic forces one's opponent to save vs. fear or run for d4 rounds. Of course when he runs you get to stick him in the back, and with one of these you do double damage. If he saves the bloodlust leaves you fighting with just a knife until one of you die, you nut.
2. Oil bomb with mechanism to ignite it on impact.
3. Random bits of armor, AC4.
4. Three Throwing Knives, and skill giving +1 to hit with them.
5-6. Loot for the wizard (d10xd20 value).
7. Grenade (per ASE)
8. +1 snapper weapon (a +1 weapon in all respects, but it gains its damage bonus via some pincering or toothy bits that clash together—think hedgetrimmers or mancatchers or an alligator).
9. Potion of Ogrefication (turns drinker into an ogre for one hour, then save vs poison)
10. Leg bone & Skull Wand. This contains one attack spell (d6: Magic Missile, Sleep, Burning Hands, Ray Of Frost, Stinking Cloud, Minute Meteors (lasts 6 rounds, 1d6 per round unless caster is killed)). Anyone who has one of these must have really gotten the favor of Ferayn in a big way.
Dreadknives and snapper weapons are all Red Weapons, like the swords and guns. The other items are ‘normal’.
The Red Weapons
These all have a permanent enchantment. Even if Ferayn is killed they will make people into insane killers. His Red Ryder rifles are mass produced and the ammo is interchangeable, unlike normal Denethix weapons.